MY “BIG DAY” FEB 25TH 2010

A note before reading this: Beware…
  •  Terror mokkai below.. 
  • Full of own experiences.. 
  • No commercial elements added…!!!

            The Final semester of my college life was one heck of a stressful ride. With placements going on, the pressure was at its peak. I attended a lot number of companies which was more than the number of companies thar went for recruitment to other colleges in TamilNadu as a whole. PSG TECH was is and will be the the best college regarding placements. But things were not going my way for a very very long and strenuous time. The time which I had thought would never come to me in my life had come and it was my biggest mistake to be unaware of this situation earlier.
In the initial companies I was not able to clear the written round itself but it didn’t bother me much as I was sure that the big software giants like TCS, INFY and CTS would definitely hire me though they come late for recruitment. Height of foolishness. !!!
The very first written round which I cleared was that of CTS and I was damn sure that I ll get through the personal interviews as well. But things happened the other way. Though I did pretty decent in the interview, they rejected me and I was dejected to the core. But later on I consoled myself saying that someone has performed better than me and this was the reason for my rejection. And so I missed the first biggie…!!!
            Time went on and the second biggie came for recruitment. INFOSYS…!!! Cleared the written round successfully and luckily the personal interview was just an HR round. I was the first person to be called for the interview and so I had no idea how it would be. The interview went on rather smoothly and I till then I had never thought that I would be able to handle the interview so well. That kind of confidence was in me after I finished my interview. OVER CONFIDENCE…!!! My name was not on the selected candidates list. I was shattered but my tendency is that I wont show my emotions out very soon. Lesson learnt – Don’t be Over Confident …!!!
Days were just passing like hours to me after that. As I got used to the written rounds, I successfully cleared most of them with ease in companies like ADP, TCS, BOSCH, huawei, LASERWORDS, L&T and BANK OF AMERICA, and so on in a continuous stretch. Same result in the interviews – Rejected…
I don’t say that I prepared so well. But my preparation was good enough to get through these companies. I have to say that fate played in my life… I came so close to getting selected in BOA but in the tie-breaker between me and another IT guy , I lost.  By this time most of the guys in my department as well as my friends in other colleges were placed and you know how it would feel like to be a loser…
After thinking for many sleepless nights about my unknown future I came to a conclusion that “No more serious intentions about interviews. Lets me see where life takes me. I’ll do my dad’s business incase”.
Then came the turning point in my life – as a result of my take it easy decision??? Damn fate…!!!
Accenture came for recruitment off campus at CIT college Coimbatore. Without having any high hopes I attended the recruitment process. You have to believe me, the previous day I just browsed through the company’s website only once. I didn’t even skim through the basics of my important subjects. As usual written round was just a piece of cake for me. Then they conducted a GD in batches of 9/10. I had no hope that I would clear any rounds as CIT students were also competing with PSG tech students and it was open for all the departments..!!! But things started to work out for me. I am always allergic to GD’s. But to my surprise I did pretty well in GD. And the topic was “Educational system in India” .Got spot selected there. Confidence started seeping through me. Next round was that of technical. With little nervousness I entered the interview room. The guy who was there to interview me was not making me feel any confident. He was asking questions as if someone had forced him to be an interviewer. He asked questions in all the important subjects that I had studied from the 1st sem which includes C , C++, OOPS , OS ,DS,DBMS, NETWORKS, WEB PROGRAMMING and so on. But I was amazed at the fact that I was able to answer most of the questions.. Whatever question he asked, I was able to answer to his expectation. But his reaction was that of an uninterested guy till the end of the interview. I came out of the room with half my confidence gone. I have never undergone any technical interview which covered all the core subjects of CSE and so many questions in a short span. After a few minutes the result announcer guy came out and called me. He stared at me for a few seconds and said “Mr.Gautham …ummmmmmmmmm..”and again stared at me for a few more seconds (my heart beat was at its peak) “You can go over there and wait for the HR round over there…” I heaved a sigh of relief only then.. Wow..!!! I said to myself and went to HR round with full confidence. HR round was just a formality, they asked me to debug a program written by the previous candidates and asked a few questions about Accenture and some basic HR questions and that was it… I came out very much excited showing thumbs up to my friends waiting outside. Then the results were announced at about 6.30 PM the same day and I they said I got selected…. ;) ;) I was the happiest person in the world … ;);).. Adding to my happiness was that my best buddy was there at that time. Siddhu ;)
I should really thank my parents and a few of my friends who stood with me, and encouraged me all the way to achieve this. I would have been nothing without them. Lots of lessons learnt through these encounters which I would never forget in my whole life.

An important note : Sachin scored a record double century against South Africa the previous day(24th feb 2010) and these two incidents would remind in my mind forever ;)




Posted by Gautham | at 9:35 AM

3 comments:

Aishu said...

Rock On Gau!!!! BTW blog looks amazing...

shrinithi venkatesh mohan said...

hmmm hardwork pays off! n who is d sidhu u r mentioning?

Gautham said...

@aishu : thnx a lot ;) gracious ;)

@shri : ECE siddharth.. u know him.. RGM school.. a good friend for the past one decade ;)

Post a Comment